Friday, May 24, 2019

Generational Bread


A tale so epic that it can only be told as a brief summary

It's crazy because both my dad and uncle are tried and true business men. They've started up everything from tutoring centers to tire stores. Both invested in cryptocurrency and dabbled in Airbnb. One is a high school drop out while the other barely scraped by as an IT guy for a while. They failed hundreds, no thousands of time. Struggled in almost every way imaginable. Lost both relationships and money. But they did what they needed to survive. After all my family immigrated to America in the last sixty years.  Growing up in the back of cell phone stores and car dealerships I got a unique perspective into the business world. A place built on dreams and maintained through creativity.

So why did I enroll in ENT3003? Was it my dream to follow in my pops footsteps, to make him proud? Did I have a crazy idea that I needed to bring to the world? Maybe I just do it on a whim? Sadly you would be wrong to assume these things. Since I'm both an IA student and part of the Heavener School of Business taking this class was almost predestined. That doesn't mean I'm not excited about it though. I think it would be really cool if by the end of this class we started a pop up restaurant or something. Who knows anythings possible!   


 

1 comment:

  1. Mohamed,

    Like you my father was a very influential person when it came to my interest in entrepreneurship. Failing is a process of creating for yourself, when you mentioned how your family failed hundreds of times, it only reminded me of a time when I watched my family struggle to get ahead and create for themselves. To me it's crazy how many people can share the same upbringing of watching entrepreneurship. I too took the class to not only follow in my fathers footsteps, but to understand his mindset when he set out to be an entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete