Friday, May 24, 2019
Is SWOL really the goal?
Beginning Point: People of all ages want to get in better shape but can't stay committed to a diet or exercise routine.
Description of belief: I think that while six pack abs and a overall toned physique is coveted by people everywhere most fitness gurus neglect to individualize workouts and cater to ordinary people. Many times peoples lifestyles revolve around food and exercising daily is to insurmountable of a challenge. In short commitment and consistency could be the single most biggest threat to making gains but are the least addressed in the industry.
Interview 1: For the first interview I asked my little sister who is currently participating in a fitness challenge. She's super competitive so I thought that this wouldn't be a super big obstacle for her. Turns out I was wrong. Out of all the times she wishes she could break her diet it's during family outings and parties with friends. She believes that if someone's need to get in shape doesn't outweigh their love of food it's almost impossible to start in the first place. However she surprised me by saying that after sixty days the routine becomes almost enjoyable and a type of lifestyle. Easing into exercise after starting the diet also helps.
Reflection: I guess the worst foods are the most enjoyable. It seems that if you keep someone on track for at least sixty days they are less likely to fall off after. I suppose breaking down the huge task into smaller more digestible bites also helps.
Interview 2: The second interview I did was with my long time high school friends gone fitness coach. Gabe started out as an extremely skinny kid and built himself a crazy physique. Apparently for him the desire to be strong outweighed any other thought. He told me that the key is making healthy foods tasty. This negates any cravings that someone might have. Also allow yourself to cheat and always lift heavy. When asked about time and individual fitness level he said that a proper plan makes things easier.
Reflection: These are all factors I didn't really consider before the interview. I guess someone doing this for a longtime has already gone through all the challenges those starting out have. What I'm seeing is that by planning out workouts and meals carefully this becomes a lot easier.
Interview 3: The last interview was with this retired senior named Paul I go visit every week. He's someone who could never really get behind a diet until he was forced to for medical reasons. To him food was very important being a chef and all. The hardest part of exercise is actually getting started. He motivated himself by competing with other people in his family
Reflection: Paul is an example of it never being to late to make a change in life. He also backs up the theory that motivation comes from within.
Summary: It seems that the key is getting started and making fitness a social experience. Also the problem isn't as far reaching as I originally thought and a good personal trainer helps a lot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Mohamed,
ReplyDeleteI think you have a really good idea here. Many people struggle with maintaining a healthy lifestyle and diet, so I think that many people would be interested in your proposition. If you present a solution to any issue, people are more apt to listen. You are absolutely right when you say that everyone is different and everyone starts their journey differently. That is a very important factor to consider when trying to motivate people. Great analysis to a great idea!
Hey Mohamed,
ReplyDeleteI'm also somewhat interested in fitness as a person and thought your choice of topic was excellent especially in the more aesthetically focused modern age. There seems to be recurring themes in your interviews of your subjects getting their diet under control and building fitness into a lifestyle. I think elaborating on the summary would give readers a better perspective into how your idea evolved as you received new real world information.