Friday, May 31, 2019

Halal Foods


1. There are 1.8 billion Muslims in the world and most of them eat Zabihah Halal meat. This is a type of meat that is hand cut, farm raised, and blessed before it's eaten. Kind of like Kosher. This makes getting the meat as well as finding restaurants that use it difficult. Imagine a delivery service like Blue Apron that incorporates this as well as provides an app that provides info on Halal restaurants. 

2. The who: People of the Islamic Faith. More specifically Muslim American's with small families and restaurant owners.
The what: They are unable to get meat delivered to them from conventional super markets like Publix and eating out can feel limiting.
The why: The western world is just now recently diversifying a food system that has stayed the same for many years.

3. Testing the who: Does the Muslim youth still follow this idea of eating Halal. Would restaurant owners be interested in collaborating with this idea.
Testing the what: Can this be expanded out to more conventional restaurants and a broader population. What kind of recipes would people like to see? Is it possible to compete with Blue Apron since Halal meat is generally more expensive. 
Testing the why: Is there any other way to specialize the service. What is the value it provides?

4. I interviewed my old boss form the pizzeria back in Orlando. I also asked my Dad whose a business owner as well as kids from Islam on Campus. Finally I asked random people on the street about the idea. I got a mostly positive response from people but my dad pointed out that specializing would be key. The restaurant owners like the Idea of an app that kind of centralizes food related stuff. After I explained the idea to people on the streets they said that I would need to add value for non muslims as well. However thinking about it I realize that the organic type moment could benefit from this as well. We could also add unique cuts of meat and spice blends. Most of the kids in IOC still eat Halal foods. The biggest challenge would be making the idea economically feasible as explained by my dad.

1 comment:

  1. Mohamed,

    I was looking online and I saw there is a website for locating Halal restaurants. Because of this, I don’t think an app would be a priority right now considering the time and costs to develop it. I think restaurants could be open to it depending on if they are near a Muslim community and were aware of a demand for it. For instance, there is a big Greek community where I live in Florida. We have many Greek restaurants and an annual Greek festival. Have you thought about a Halal meat market? This way restaurants and other Muslims could buy from it.

    ReplyDelete